Monday, March 22, 2010

Is this a preemie thing?

Maggie has basically stopped eating. Not completely, but she is probably eating like 40 percent of what she was doing 2 weeks ago. It is scary and frustrating. We have brainstormed and tried many different things to try and figure out what is causing this drastic change in behavior but nothing has fixed it so far. She is not unhappy nor lethargic. So I although at first I feared she was getting sick, I no longer think that's not the case.

This morning, for example, she ate about 20 ml (she used to eat about 70 each time) and then just started pushing the bottle away. Then she started grinning at me and wiggling around like she wanted to play! She is so cute and happy it's so hard to be frustrated with her. But then I start to panic when I think about how much more she used to eat. We've been to the doctor and she has gained some weight so they are not overly concerned. We've changed medicines, increased the prevacid, thickened her formula, tried gas drops (I think those are worthless), gripe water, started not letting her sleep as long at night (ugh!) but nothing has worked. Many have said it's just a "phase" but I am just not sure. And I have learned that it's easy to get obsessed with the numbers with you are bottle feeding so I am sure I am being a but uptight. She has another appointment tomorrow so we'll see if they can tell me anything else I can do.

I keep telling myself that this is our first big issue since we've had her home so I should be so thankful that we haven't had to deal with much else besides this. I really am thankful to God for letting us have it so easy when I know it could have been so much worse. It is just hard to remind yourself of the blessings when you are so focused on one immediate but simple thing like getting a baby to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment