Monday, February 22, 2010

Update

It's really hour by hour around here. Most of the time things are going just fine. But then out of nowhere we all seem to reach our breaking points at the same time. Justin tends to internalize everything. I tend to vocalize everything. And Mary Lawrence just melts down completely. We are quite a trio I tell you! Thankfully the weather was nice yesterday and we strolled to the park for the first time.  We enjoyed chatting with some of the other families there and, for the first time in a long time, felt like a normal family. We so took for granted the simple pleasures in life before all of this.  I hope that never happens again.

Thankfully Maggie seems to be doing just fine. She was evaluated last week by an Occupational Therapist and seems to be hitting all of her milestones for her adjusted age. She is turning her head to look at Justin when he walks in the room. I swear she is smiling in response to faces I am making. And she is lifting her head a lot. Things that I never really thought about with Mary Lawrence I really have to keep track of with Maggie.

We will have to do a little bit of therapy because the combination of lack of amniotic fluid and prematurity left Maggie's muscles really stiff. She was not able to move and stretch like most babies are able to do in the womb. So when she was first born she couldn't extend her arms and legs out past a 50 degree angle. At the time that was the least of our worries! But now we have to deal with it. Thankfully just her natural kicking and stretching has allowed her legs and arms to stretch normally now. Her muscle problems could have been much worse so I am thankful that hers are minor. But she still needs therapy which we will start soon.

My mom is coming this week - woo hoo. She is the only person that feels somewhat comfortable keeping Maggie. Okay, I take that back. I think it makes her extremely nervous. But she will do it cause she is my mom and I trust that she will call 911 if Maggie so much as hiccups too long. I taught her Infant CPR and have it plastered to my fridge so she feels a little bit more confident. So this week  I can do fun things like go to the doctor, dentist, etc. I was hoping the weather would stay nice so we could go outside, but more snow is expected in Dallas this week. Where is Spring??? I need Spring....

1 comment:

  1. You have come so far!!! I agree that Spring needs to arrive soon. Who is your OT? I am an OT also and just curious. I'm not working now, but always like to hear who is out there. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete