Saturday, May 22, 2010

Update on Maggie

The swab test came back negative for all the "bad" viruses like RSV which is great. Her fever is gone, too. So we are so thankful she seems to be getting better. However, she is so congested and when she can't breathe well, it makes eating all the more frustrating for her. So she's not taking all of her bottles and has lost weight today so that's all discouraging. So every time we sit down to feed her we are so incredibly stressed because we know no eating = feeding tube. And we all know Maggie can easily sense stress, and that itself increases our stress! It is just a very stressful situation all around! I am sure it sounds so dumb to people reading this; I mean, really, how hard could it be to feed a baby? But trust me, this is by far one of the most stressful things in my life. I am surprised either one of us has any hair because all we want to do is pull it out.

As for the feeding tube, the doctor kind of left it up to us as to what to do about it for now. On one hand, we know a tube will only make her breathing/eating worse and might introduce infection. On the other hand, we don't want her to lose her hungry/full routine nor do we want her to get dehydrated. For now we have decided to hold off, at least through the weekend, since she is having wet diapers and also because we think we should push back on the tube as long as we can.

This experience has made me realize how quickly Maggie can revert back to her old ways and has me wondering what the heck I am going to do when she does this at home. I can't worry about that now, though. Got to feed her again soon...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment