Friday, August 7, 2009

The Body of Christ at Work

I mentioned the other day how awesome it would be to touch Jesus' robe like the bleeding woman does in the Bible. Well, yesterday while reading a Max Lucado book I came across this passage:

We can still touch the body of Christ. We'd love to touch his physical wounds and feel the flesh of the Nazarene. Yet when we brush up against the church, we do just that. "The church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself." (Ephesians 1:23 NLT)

I always knew believers were referred to as "the body" but it is not until this experience that I have truly felt and understood what that means. I really have brushed up to Jesus in the past three weeks because the body of believers has stepped forward to show His love in such amazing ways. For example,we have had meals brought to us nearly every day, play dates organized for ML, free airplane tickets given to my family to fly back and forth to help us. People have dropped by books, movies, and lots of magazines to help out with the monotony of bed rest and other friends have brought me lunch and milkshakes.

Let me not forget to mention the prayers lists we are on from San Francisco to England. My aunt shared with me that her housekeeper's preacher prayed for us at the pulpit of her inner city Memphis church last Sunday. No one knows us at that church yet they lifted us up in prayer, "bearing each other burdens" as Galatians says, because that is what we are called to do as the body of Christ. How touching that was for us to hear this story!

Justin and I are so moved and humbled by the outpouring of notes, phone calls, flowers, facebook messages and, most importantly, prayers. I have felt so close to Christ because of all of you and just wanted to say thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Lee, You are so loved and not a day goes by that I don't think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee,
    your faith is incredible! You are certainly loved
    and I feel blessed to be your friend. We continue
    to pray for you and your family. Stay strong!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on the prayer list in my Sunday School class, too ;). Just one more to add to the list of people who have you guys in their thoughts and prayers.

    I am so glad you have decided to blog about your experience. I find it is so cathartic to write about these difficult things, and reading your posts is such an encouragement to me, as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete