Monday, January 4, 2010

Not so fast...

"These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." I Peter 1:7

Just as I was washing and folding Maggie's clothes this morning I got a call from her nurse saying Maggie wasn't eating well again. Uh oh, I thought, here we go again with another setback. Poor little Maggie is either getting really exhausted taking all bottles or she may have a bigger problem. One theory is that she is aspirating milk into her lungs as she eats, which could be furthering her breathing issues. So tomorrow morning she will see a radiologist who will dye her milk and then be able to watch on screen to see where the milk goes within her body (pretty cool, right?). If it goes into her lungs then they will have to figure out how to fix it. It's not a terribly serious thing but may hold her off from coming home this week. We'll see.

Needless to say, I was really disappointed this morning. We had just spent all weekend getting ready for her to come home. But we just keep reminding ourselves that she is going to come home eventually and that is what we need to focus on.  I am just ready though!.

Today's our seventh wedding anniversary. If someone told me all the journeys, trials, and tribulations we would experience in just seven years I would  never have believed it and maybe would have backed out! (Just Kidding, Hub).  Someone once wrote and asked, "What if marriage isn't  supposed to make you happy, but to make you holy?"  I can see that. It is not easy to hide your faults and flaws when you are in the daily trenches of life with your spouse. It's funny how they just come pouring forth when things get tough. Or at least mine do! In marriage it's like our sinfulness is illuminated with a big spotlight. But that's when we really see our need for God's grace and forgiveness. And we see our desperate need for His help in our weaknesses.

No doubt the bonds of our marriage have strengthened over this past year and our love for one another has deepened. Two is certainly better than one, as I could never have gotten through all of this without my sweet  husband. A friend congratulated me today that Justin and I made it to the seven year itch - which I think is a non-scientific average for when marriages usually fail by if they are going to fail. Or maybe it's when people start getting bored with their marriages. I don't know but bored we are not! And as for failure, well that was never an option for us. It still isn't. God has shown us that with His strength we can get through anything. While we could definitely use a few "easy" years for a while, no matter what life brings I am so glad to be sharing it with the person that I am.

So I am off to celebrate... We've got big plans, too: putting together our bassinet, installing a car seat, and probably having a glass of wine. Now that's what I call romantic!

1 comment:

  1. She's getting so big! We'll be praying they can figure out what's going on and she can get well enough to come home soon. And you're right - she might have a week to adjust when she comes home (it's normal for them to be a little fussier than usual and lose weight that first week home) - but then they do so much better when they're with their family. Can't wait until she's home with you!

    ReplyDelete