Monday, November 23, 2009

Graduation Day

Maggie has officially "graduated" to the other part of the NICU- the division that cares for the stable babies who are simply "feeders and growers." it's much quieter in her new room and the parents are given more responsibility in their child's care. They are all about preparing you to take her home. I know that's still a long way off but one nurse mentioned to me that it could be as soon as Christmas, although we are not going to get our hopes up. We are just so thankful to be able to bring her home that we don't care when.

Maggie weighs about 2 pounds 13 ounces now, and is eating a lot more. Today her heart rate dropped a few times which sent us in a panic, but the nurses said that is to be expected in preemies. And if the doctors become concerned about it they will send us home with a monitor. Other than that Maggie is doing great. And one funny thing, her "roommate," who weighed 1.5 pounds when she was born is named "Miracle." I'd love to know her background but because of privacy issues the nurses can't tell us. But I bet she has a story, too!

5 comments:

  1. Lee, I am happy to know that Maggie is doing so well. Your updates are something I look forward to, and I appreciate your keeping everyone informed on Maggie's progress. Know that you are all in my prayers. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. God is good all of the time.
    Marsha
    Isaiah 40:31

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah for maggie! what a blessing! love you all!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son came home on a heart monitor for 4 months after his time in NICU, and it is relatively common for apnea and/or heartrate. Reflux and/or reflux medications are also very common, so just realize that this is pretty standard and shouldn't be a concern with Maggie. When I went through it, I let everything that was "different" from a normal pregnancy stress me out. If I could do it over, I would try to look at the "big picture" more than I did and realize that this would only be a short time in our lives.
    Praying!
    Michelle Cearley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God. I know that ya'll will have a blessed Thanksgiving this year. There is so much to be thankful for. Enjoy! Love you loads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! So happy Maggie graduated! I know she is loving having you care for her more! What an awesome blessing! God is so good! I share your story with people at least once a week. It is always such an encouragement to them! Hang in there! I imagine it is hard traveling back and forth up there and spending time with your other precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete