Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nov 19

Maggie is doing great tonight. Tomorrow they will take her completely off IV fluids and will only be taking milk through her feeding tube. She is slowly but surely gaining weight and we pray that she continues to do so. Yesterday she opened her eyes for about 10 minutes- the longest time yet. She was looking all around at the sound of our voices. Her eyes are so tiny, like little beads, but yet they are darting all around looking at the gigantic faces peering at her through the plastic (which might actually be kind of scary if you think about it!)

I received so many good tips and encouragement after my last posting. It's amazing how breastfeeding and pumping can draw up such emotion! With Mary Lawrence I put so much pressure on myself to breastfeed for a full year and to not use any formula (can we say obnoxious type A personality!). But sometimes it was more stressful than it should have been. I told myself that I wouldn't put so much pressure on myself the next time around, but yet here I am doing the exact same thing! But it's only because I want her to be as healthy as possible. At the same time, though, I definitely understand from my first experience that you have to consider your mental and physical well-being when weighing your choices. If those two things are suffering there is no way you can be at your best mothering potential. i know that first- hand. So thanks for the encouragement and good tips from all former NICU moms and other moms. Nice to know I am not the only one who has gone through this:).

No comments:

Post a Comment