Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Importance of Family

"Children's children are a crown to the aged." Proverbs 17:6

After practically four months of living with us and tending to our every needs, my sweet mom flew home tonight. And, yes, I sobbed the whole way back from the airport! I don't know if every mom would give up her life and her job, move into a small house with her daughter and son-in-law, and take the role as "mom" for their two year old and "nurse" for her bedridden daughter. I'm sure a lot of people would probably bail after a few weeks, but my mom stood by us the whole time. She always was encouraging, and never once complained. And she did it all with a joyful heart.

My grandmother calls her the "Rock of Gibraltar" for that's surely what she has been to us. And now that she's gone I feel so sad. You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach? Well that's what I have right now.  I know that we will be okay - after this long weekend I should be able to start driving and caring for Mary Lawrence on my own, but I just haven't had "mom" duties in so long I'm not sure I'm 100% ready for it. Mary Lawrence is so used to her "Lolly" doing everything for her - getting up with her at 6 am everyday, making her meals, changing her diaper, feeding her, driving her to school, picking her up when she cries. I am sure Mary Lawrence won't know what to do when I pick her up for the first time in 5 months:).

It's funny, I always thought it was strange that in some cultures it's totally normal for grandparents to move in with the younger families. But I can totally see why now! It really was a good thing for us. Mary Lawrence and my mom formed such a special and strong bond that will last a lifetime.I know it's time for our little family to start getting back to normal, but it just doesn't feel right not having her here right now. Thankfully I can cope knowing that she will come back to help when Maggie comes home!

Through this whole experience I have really learned to appreciate my sweet family even more. My grandparents have always taught us that when someone in our family is in need, we go and we support and we love them unconditionally. And that's exactly what they have done for us. Not only my mom, but my sister, aunt, grandmother and mother-in-law have all come to help at one point or another. And my dad has sacrificed a lot by not having my mom around for all these months. Justin and I feel so blessed to have a close-knit family that loves each other so much and would do anything for one another. No matter what we have done in the past, or hurt that we may have caused each other, we always forgive and continue to love one another. It's just the way we do things in our family, and it is such a gift that my grandparents have given us by creating a family like that passes their values on down to each generation. I don't think there is a greater legacy to leave than to build a godly and loving family. And I hope that Justin and I are able to do the same for our family.

So I go to bed tonight a little sad and a little scared, but also incredibly thankful that slowly but surely our little family is getting back to being normal once again.

Lolly and Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment